Support for people, young and old who are challenged in their process of learning, or with processing
information or in the management of social engagements.
We live along side in any way that is required for happy, independent living.
DAY TO DAY
HOLIDAYS & DAY TRIPS REGIONAL OR LOCAL
HOW TO GET IN
TOUCH WITH US
Support for people living with Learning Disabilities is something we care passionately about at Sunshine. Our person centered learning shows us that there is an ever-growing number living with an ever-increasing list of conditions, which often develop over time and change during the transition from child to adulthood.
Our philosophy - Each person is unique
Sunshine Care’s contribution is totally person centered. We work with a philosophy of respect that ensures that each and every person is treated with empathy and respect for being who they are; acknowledging peoples ethnicity, culture, spiritually, age, and condition; whilst protecting against discrimination of any kind.
Within our person -centered philosophy we strive to step into the shoes as it were of every individual, and attempt to sensitively see the world from their perspective. We always work with the individual and their particular needs and requirements. We understand that within this world there are hopes, fears, challenges and varying interests. Whatever preoccupies one of our clients motivates us to help.
Our Sunshine Companions are well trained and motivated to both help and direct where appropriate. Our ongoing training facilities and research motivates our staff to sharpen their skills and find new ways of understanding and enabling their clients and our service users. There are many facilities in the community such as social events, education, therapies, both psychological and physical; exercise, massage, sport faculties and much more.
Our support plan is tailor made for each and every individual. We work to minimize stress and regression of symptoms. We recognize that each person has their own gifts and we so enjoy helping people to reach their potential in every way that we can. We are continually researching developments in this condition and we are keen to see what facilities are available for learning and recreation. It is wonderfully encouraging to see people develop and grow in a myriad of ways. Whenever there appear to be obstacles to learning and development we work to minimize them for everyone. Sometimes, for example, where an individual might find speech and communication a challenge, they are highly developed in a creative or mechanical area, and extremely able.
Our Services include supporting and caring for people with:
- Learning Difficulties; Autism and Aspergers Syndrome
- Down's and Lowe's Syndromes; Epilepsy
- Challenging Behaviour
- Problems of Drug or Substance Misuse
- Mental Health Conditions
We currently provide live-in support for many young people with physical and mental disabilities, within a supported living environment in the community.
In Supported Living our services will include:
- A Person Centred, Outcome Based Approach
- Assistance to achieve quality of life
- Promoting Independence
- Understanding body language
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Escorting on social activities, and overcoming obstacles
- Budgeting assistance
- Support a healthy diet incorporating and monitoring dietary needs.
- Managing and assisting incontinence.
- Medication, including appointments and repeat prescriptions
- Supervision of personal care
- Prompting and support with cooking and domestic work such as laundry, shopping, cleaning
- Accompanying day centre activities, hobbies and outings
- Supporting family and friends to work together
- Documents (such as complaints and quality assurance surveys) with pictures and symbols
- Attending meetings and reviews
Day trips (local) include;
- Bovisands Beach
- Saltram House
- Sparkwell Zoo
- National Marine Aquarium
- Endsleigh Garden Centre
Day trip (regional) include;
- Monkey Sanctuary
- Trago Mills
- Paignton Zoo
- Cotehele House
- Dartington Hall
- China Blue pottery: house of marbles
- Babbacombe Miniature Village
Holiday Companion – your choice of holiday abroad or in the UK with one of our support staff
1:1 Enabling to help you look and apply for new job role unpaid or paid, support to get to your place of work accessing public transport, or assisting you at your work place if needed.